Can a Bsc Biology Graduate Do Msc in Microbiology

Get Latest Education News: Universities, Polytechnics & Colleges. JAMB, WAEC, NECO & GCE News.
Olubest ~ ~  
Cash on hand: Locked

Post by Olubest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to pursue an Msc in microbiology after graduating with a Bsc Biology.
Will this be an easy ride because I know the two fields are quite different with little similarities.

This thread is for educational purposes and I'll be much glad to hear from people who can help provide genuine answers and not some random assumptions. Thanks

(Quote)

SHARE WITH FRIENDS

luminous ~ ~  

Post by luminous » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 am

Of course yes, Biology and Microbiology are life sciences.
A Biology grad is eligible for Msc in Microbiology and a Microbiology grad is also eligible for Msc in any area of Biology.

However, to be on a safer side, it is important to contact the admission officer of the institution to inquire as admission requirements of schools differs from each other.

Further more, most institutions write qualifying exams, if you can prove yourself worthy, and also fulfil other admission requirements, then your admission is sure.

Will this be an easy ride???
I'll say it all depends on the individual, how well you can quickly adapt and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

I have seen so many people go outside their discipline to bag a Msc degree in other fields.

(Quote)

sisikenny ~ ~  

Post by sisikenny » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 am

It is very possible but not a good idea.

Microbiology and Biology are not too related, Micro entails detail study of microbes and their structures, whereas Biology has just little to do with microbes and it's structures.

The main essence of Masters degree is to specialize in an aspect of what was studied in first degree.

Specializing in Ecology, Zoology, Botany will be best.

!!shalom

(Quote)

POST COMMENT

•  LOGIN